18 Fun Facts You Probably Didn’t Know About Mickey Mouse
88 years later, the famous mouse is still making us smile.
Did you know that Mickey Mouse turned 88 years old on Nov. 18? Yes, everyone’s favorite cartoon character has been bringing smiles and joy to kids and adults alike for nearly nine decades.
You’ve grown up with the famous mouse and you’ve probably been to one of the Disney parks in your lifetime, but even if you’re a Walt Disney World or Disneyland regular and a devoted fan of Mickey and the gang, we bet there are still some fun facts you didn’t know about Mickey Mouse and his creator Walt Disney:
1. Mickey Mouse was inspired by the pet mouse Disney had as a child.
2. Mickey was originally going to be named Mortimer!
3. Every U.S. president has posed with Mickey Mouse, save Lyndon Johnson.
4. Speaking of presidents, Mickey Mouse is the most popular write-in candidate at the voting booth.
5. Mickey Mouse was the first cartoon character to ever speak. And what were his first words? “Hot dogs!”
6. There are hidden Mickeys all over Disneyland and Walt Disney World. Spotting them is part of the fun of going to the theme parks.
7. Mickey wears white gloves so that you can see his hands (otherwise they would blend in against his body, especially in the early days with cruder animation technology).
8. Walt Disney said that Minnie and Mickey Mouse are indeed married, although they keep it private and they do not share a home.
9. Mickey Rooney claims that he was the inspiration for Mickey Mouse’s name.
10. The first two Mickey Mouse movies cost $2,500 to make.
11. Mickey Mouse was the first cartoon character to earn a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame.
12. In the 1970s, Mickey released a disco album which went double platinum.
13. Walt Disney originally held the patent for Technicolor, meaning that Disney was the only animator who could make cartoons in color.
14. Mickey Mouse is said to be more recognizable around the globe than Santa Claus.
15. Mickey Mouse only has four fingers! Walt Disney felt that five fingers resembled a “bunch of bananas.”
16. Walt Disney himself voiced Mickey Mouse for many years.
17. Looking for a job? If you want to be the Mickey Mouse mascot at Disneyland, the theme park requires all actors to be between 4′ 8″ to 5′ 2″.
18. All Mickey Mouse mascots have to practice the “Mickey” signature so that it looks uniform regardless of who is inside the costume. This is no easy feat, especially with those big white gloves on!
Thanks for all the awesome memories, Mickey!