5 Furniture Assembly Tips That Will Save You Time And Frustration
Furniture assembly can seem a little daunting but it doesn’t have to be. This article will help you make easy work of any flat pack assembly project so that you can have your furniture built in no time, and will save you the need for some waste disposal.
1. Be Prepared
It’s very important that you decide what you want to buy before you head to the store and most importantly you will need accurate measurements of the space you have for the furniture you want.
Clear the space before you go and make sure you have extra room to work. All extra things will cost you for the junk removal, so make correct measurements.
2. Acquire Some Extra Tools
It’s common for flat pack assembly furniture to come with some of the tools that you require such as an Allen key; however, you may need additional tools such as a flat head screwdriver and a Philips head screwdriver or an electric screwdriver with interchangeable bits, a rubber mallet and a hammer which you’ll need to provide yourself.
3. Follow The Instructions
Every flat pack comes with an instruction manual. Some people think reading the manual is a waste of time and just want to get started. However, the importance of this step can not be stressed enough and it will save you time and frustration if you just take a few moments to read through the manual, understand the sequence, check each component and separate the pieces.
Make sure you count every component to ensure you have been given enough. If anything is missing or damaged then you will need to contact the store and ask for replacement parts.
4. Don’t Be Afraid To Customize
If you want to make your flat pack furniture to be unique, then you can add your own personal touches like:
- Replace the handles with ones you prefer
- Painting or creating a personal finish – don’t forget to sand and clean the surfaces first and do this before you put the furniture together
- Add a hole for cables
- Replace the feet or wheels
5. Take Your Time
Don’t rush, or else there will be more rubbish removal and less actual assembly. If you try to rush through the assembly, then you are more likely to make mistakes and have to make furniture repairs. These hints will help you reduce the possibility of damaging your furniture:
- Before hammering in nails, place a piece of masking tape where you want the nail to go to prevent the wood from splitting. Just remove the masking tape once the nail is secured.
- Use a rubber mallet for dowels instead of a hammer to prevent damage to the pre-made holes.
- Work on a blanket to prevent your floor from getting scratched or dirty or to protect the furniture you’re building.
- Ask a friend to help, or use clamps to keep pieces together while you work.
- Don’t tighten all screws individually, secure the required screws into the panel then tighten them up once they’re all in place to keep your panels evenly placed.
So, if you want to make your next furniture assembly project a piece of cake, just follow the handy tips in this article and you’ll be enjoying your new furniture in no time!
This way you will save the need to hire any clearance services and you won’t have to do junk collection instead of doing proper assembly.
We were not paid to write this story. The products and services mentioned below were selected independent of sales and advertising. However, Simplemost may receive a small commission from the purchase of any products or services through an affiliate link to the retailer's website.