Life

Celine Dion Donates Concert Proceeds To Las Vegas Shooting Victims

"On Sunday we lost too many beautiful, innocent souls, and so many are still suffering."

Celine Dion has had multiple residencies at The Colosseum at Caesars Palace in Las Vegas, making it her home for a number of years. So the shooting at the Route 91 Harvest Festival struck a deep chord with the Grammy-winning singer.

Before the start of her Oct. 3 show—her first performance since the shooting—she appeared on stage to deliver a message for the victims and families hurt by the attack.

celine dion vegas photo
Getty Images | Ethan Miller

According to E! News, Dion said to the audience:

On Sunday we lost too many beautiful, innocent souls, and so many are still suffering. But tonight we’re going to let these families know that we are supporting them and that we will help them through their tragic loss. We dedicate tonight’s show to all of the victims and their families, and to the first responders, and to the doctors and nurses who are working around the clock to save lives, and to so many heroes who did whatever they could to help complete strangers in a time of desperate need.

You can watch more of her moving speech here:

Dion went beyond just words, however, announcing that along with show partners AEG Presents and Caesars Entertainment, she will be donating proceeds from the concerts to the victims and their families.

Before the show began, she gave the audience a taste of what was to come, by displaying photos that had been posted online with the hashtag #VegasStrong.

Dion also said to the audience:

After Sunday night’s incredibly tragic event, all of us here find ourselves asking a similar question: For you, it’s “Do we still go to Celine’s show on Tuesday night, only two days after the nightmare?” For me, it’s “Can I still do my show? Should I still do my show, only two days after the nightmare?” These are difficult questions, but I want you to know that you have made the right choice in being here tonight, and the reason that I decided to do this show so soon is more than to just sing. It is to show love and support for those who are affected.”

Dion found worldwide fame in the 1990s when she was in her early 20s. Since then, she has gone on to win seven Billboard Music Awards, five Grammys and dozens of other awards. In 2016, she celebrated her 1,000th show at Caesars Palace and continues to fill the venue each performance.

While Las Vegas continues to heal from the tragedy, some other shows are being put on hold. Jennifer Lopez announced she is canceling her Las Vegas performances this week out of respect for the victims of the mass shooting. Country star Jason Aldean, who was performing in Las Vegas during the shooting, said he and his band are canceling their upcoming shows in California.

And on Monday, one day after the shooting, Caesars Entertainment canceled all shows that night as a symbol of respect for those affected by the events.

“The entire Caesars Entertainment family is deeply saddened and we are keeping the victims, their families and the first responders in our thoughts and prayers,” Caesars Entertainment said in a statement to E! News. “In light of the attack, and out of respect for all those impacted, all of our shows will be dark tonight.”

Mass Shooting At Mandalay Bay In Las Vegas Leaves At Least 50 Dead
Getty Images | Drew Angerer

Help is still needed in the aftermath of the shooting. From donating blood to the Red Cross or giving money to the families of the victims, there are many ways you can help.