Crispy Chocolate Ice Cream Mud Pie Takes The Classic Freezer Pie To A New Level
Who loves chocolate? 🙋♀️🙋♂️🙋♀️
Ice cream cake may get a lot of attention from dessert-lovers at this time of the year, but we think we’ve found a pie that just may take the prize away from the reigning ice cream dessert champ.
This pie has a few secret weapons: You don’t have to turn your oven on, so no heating up your kitchen. And, this dessert includes Hershey’s chocolate in multiple forms!
Hershey’s crispy chocolate ice cream mud pie brings together amazing flavors and tempting textures to make a singularly sensational snack. We love desserts that play with different textures like creamy and crispy at the same time, and this pie has it all.
The pie mixes Rice Krispies (or any crispy-rice cereal) with melted chocolate to create a crunchy crust, then layers melted chocolate and ice cream to build a divine chocolatey dessert.
The ingredient list couldn’t be simpler to pull together:
- 1/2 cup Hershey’s chocolate syrup
- 1/3 cup Hershey’s Special dark chocolate chips or Hershey’s semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 2 cups of crispy rice cereal
- 4 cups (1 quart) of vanilla ice cream, divided
- 4 cups (1 quart) of chocolate ice cream, divided
- Extra Hershey’s chocolate syrup (optional)
Making this pie takes a few steps, but they aren’t too difficult, and the result is absolutely worth it:
- Grease a 9-inch pie plate with butter.
- Place 1/2 cup chocolate syrup and the chocolate chips in a medium microwave-safe bowl. Microwave on medium, or at 50%, for 45 seconds or until hot, then stir until smooth.
- Reserve 1/4 cup chocolate syrup mixture; set aside. Add cereal to remaining chocolate syrup mixture, stirring until well coated, then cool slightly.
- Using the back of a spoon, press the chocolate-and-cereal mixture evenly on bottom and up the sides of the prepared pie plate to form the crust. Place this in the freezer 15 to 20 minutes, or until crust is firm.
- Spread half of vanilla ice cream into crust; spoon reserved 1/4 cup chocolate syrup mixture over layer.
- Spread half of chocolate ice cream over the sauce.
- Top with alternating scoops of vanilla and chocolate ice cream.
- Cover and return to freezer until serving time. Drizzle with additional syrup just before serving.
The recipe says the pie serves eight people. We think you’ll have to exercise some self-control to resist slicing up bigger slices, though!