This Dad Found Mold In His Kid’s Capri Sun, And Here’s What The Company Had To Say About It
Yikes! This is scary.
On Sept. 24, Indiana dad Cameron Hardwick took to Facebook to warn other parents about mold that he found floating inside Capri Sun, a popular kids’ juice drink.
Hardwick said he found an “unknown” substance floating around in a pouch of Capri Sun that he intended to give to his 3-year-old son. As he cut the top of the pouch and poured the juice box into a cup on video, viewers can clearly an icky-looking substance floating in the juice.
Needless to say, Hardwick was not happy about the incident.
“We don’t give these to our children often but will NEVER again! #SERIOUSLY #CapriSun,” he wrote. Check out his post, complete with pictures and video, below:
His post has since gone viral and has been shared almost 90,000 times. Not surprisingly, it has prompted a response from the company.
Capri Sun, which is owned by Kraft Foods, addressed mold issues on their website. The company said the substance that can be found in its drinks “a common, naturally occurring food mold.” They went on to say the mold can grow inside containers of preservative-free drinks when the pouch is punctured or damaged in transportation to grocery stores. They also noted that it’s “rare” for this to happen.
The company has made the bottoms of the drink pouches clear so that customers can check for this naturally occurring food mold before drinking it. It encouraged any concerned customers to call with questions at 1-800-227-7478.
When Twitter user @falloutj0y expressed concern about mold in the pouches, Capri Sun responded to her, noting the clear bottoms:
@joyeliseeee We’ve heard you loud and “clear.” See the goodness inside our Capri Sun with our NEW Clear Bottom Pouch! pic.twitter.com/qNH8CaofTs
— Capri Sun (@Capri_Sun) February 13, 2014
“We care deeply about this issue and about the well-being of our moms, dads and kids,” the Capri Sun website reads. “That’s why we have invested millions of dollars in our packaging, quality and manufacturing processes to make our pouches even stronger and more resistant to air leaks. We value your feedback as it helps us improve our processes and products.”
The company recommended that parents gently squeeze the pouch to check for leaks before serving. If there are any leaks, the pouch should be thrown out.
On Oct. 8, Hardwick posted an update on Facebook, noting that a third party came to his house to pick up the pouch and bring to a lab for testing. The results showed that there was a “mico-puncture” in the pouch’s material, which allowed oxygen to enter and create the mold.
Would you still serve Capri Sun to your children or are you not concerned?