Disney Just Shared Its Recipe For Tater Tot Nachos
They're called "totchos" and we can't wait to try them!
There are two types of people in this world: those who choose French fries and those who, when given the choice, will pick tater tots every time. If you’re Team Tots, has Disney got the recipe for you.
Disney’s been keeping us going with a steady stream of decadent recipes from their theme parks and resorts lately, including fan favorites like Dole Whip and churro bites. This time, they’ve really outdone themselves with a recipe from Woody’s Lunch Box at Disney’s Hollywood Studios at Walt Disney World: Totchos.
So what are Totchos? The name sounds simple enough, but there’s a lot going on here. A base of crispy, golden-brown tater tots gets topped with chili, queso, shredded cheese, sour cream and green onions for a seriously indulgent dish. You could serve these along side this delicious three-cheese grilled cheese, another recipe Disney shared from Woody’s Lunch Box, the popular quick-service restaurant in Toy Story Land at Disney World. But Totchos are definitely hearty enough to make a meal of on their own.
The recipe includes directions to make your own chili from scratch, but you could definitely shave a bit off the prep time by using pre-made or canned chili. You could also substitute a meatless chili to make this dish vegetarian!
Here’s how to make Totchos at home:
Totchos from Woody’s Lunch Box at Disney’s Hollywood Studios
Chili with Beans
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 medium yellow onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 (15-ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (15-ounce) can kidney beans, drained
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon coarse salt
- Black pepper, to taste
- Ground cayenne, to taste
- 2 cups jar cheese sauce
- 1 (10-ounce) can diced tomatoes with chilies
- 1 (2 pound) bag frozen potato barrels
- 1 1/2 cups corn chips
- Chili with Beans
- Queso Sauce
- 3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 6 tablespoons sour cream
- 2 tablespoons thinly sliced green onions
For Chili with Beans:
- Brown ground beef in a 5-6 quart Dutch oven over medium heat until fully cooked. Drain off excess grease.
- Add onion and garlic and sauté for 5-7 minutes, until onion is translucent.
- Add crushed tomatoes, tomato sauce, kidney beans, chili powder and cumin. Simmer for 20 minutes. Add salt.
- Add black pepper and cayenne, as needed.
- Keep warm until ready to serve.
For Queso Sauce:
- Place cheese sauce and diced tomatoes with chilies in small saucepan. Cook over low heat for 10 minutes, until warm.
- Keep warm until ready to serve.
- Cook potato barrels according to package instructions.
- Divide potato barrels into 6 bowls. Place 1/4 cup each of corn chips, chili with beans and queso sauce on top of each bowl of potato barrels.
- Top each bowl with 2 tablespoons shredded cheese, 1 tablespoon sour cream and 1 teaspoon green onions.
For a little extra help, check out this video to see exactly how to make your Totchos!
More Delicious Disney Dishes
Disney has been helping to keep us all busy at home by sharing a steady stream of recipes. While we wait for the theme parks to reopen (and they ARE reopening—July 11!), we’ve been whipping up everything from Mickey pretzels and beignets to French toast and cookie fries.
Have you been doing anything to keep the Disney magic alive at home?