DIY: How To Make An Emergency Spare Key
Good to know!
In this video, Youtuber, DaveHax, shows us how to make an emergency spare key.
- The original key
- A lighter
- The lid of a metal can
- A 2 inch piece of clear tape
- Start by holding the original key over a flame so it gets a black coating.
- Set it down to cool. Once cool, place the stripe of clear tape over the blackened key. This will make the outline of your key.
- Remove the tape from the key and stick it onto the can lid.
- Using a sharp pair of scissors, carefully (and accurately) cut out the key.
- Hold the copy up to the original for comparison. If you’ve accurately cut out the key, it should work in the lock. Just remember, the copied key will be a lit thinner than the original, so be careful about not breaking it inside the lock.
Watch video for full tutorial.