This was such a fun craft! Perfect for Valentine’s Day, a baby shower, gender reveal party, or wedding favor gift, the uses for homemade candles are endless. Here’s the supplies needed, instructions, and short video to help you make your own.
- 1 lb. soy wax flakes
- Blue & red candle dye
- Medium sized wicks with stickums
- Lavender scented oil
- Mason jars of various sizes
- Cute doilies, fabric, or yarn to decorate your candles
- Stick wick firmly into place in bottom of jar. Use your finger to push it down.
- Tie wick around a holder (we used an extra large bobby pin) & place over top of mason jar so it stays centered.
- Slowly melt wax in container on the stove, stirring frequently until fully melted.
- Add colorant and slowly stir until a deep purple (it will lighten when it hardens).
- Add scent, stirring slowly.
- Let wax cool 5-10 minutes so the heat doesn’t crack the jar.
- Carefully pour wax into into the mason jar, leaving a little room at the top.
- Set aside and allow wax to fully cool and firm up (about 45-60 minutes).
- Cut wick to ¼ – ½ inch.
- Decorate as desired!
This is a great tip from Something Turquoise: If there is wax stuck inside your pot, put it back on the heated stove for about 5-10 seconds. Use a paper towel wrapped around a spoon to wipe the inside clean. Repeat the process with a new paper towel until the residual wax is removed.
If you accidentally spill wax on your counter (like we did), use a putty knife to carefully scrape off the wax.