Baby Cough Syrup Sold At Dollar General Is Being Recalled For Bacterial Contamination

Kingston Pharmaceuticals has announced a recall of DG/health Naturals baby Cough Syrup and Mucus because it may be contaminated by the bacteria Bacilla cereus and Bacillus circulans.

If you have a two fluid ounce (59 mL) bottle of this over-the-counter medication labeled Lot KL180157 with an expiration date of November 2020, beware.

Bacillus cereus in food products has the potential to produce two forms of gastrointestinal illness, one being a syndrome primarily of vomiting, and the other of diarrhea,” Kingston Pharma said the recall statement. “Most often, illnesses are mild and self-limiting, although more serious and even lethal cases have occurred.”

The announcement added that generally, the illnesses are mild and self-limiting. Infants, young children and those with weakened immune systems will need to be extra careful.

The packaging of the affected baby cough syrup will have a UPC Code that reads: 8 54954 00250 0. It looks like this:


Massena, New York-based Kingston Pharma says that no illnesses have been reported in connection with the baby cough syrup, which is indicated for children over the age of two months.

The recalled bottles were available at Dollar General stores nationwide, but production has now been suspended while the FDA and Kingston Pharma investigate how the problem occurred. The company says the potential for contamination was discovered during audit testing, when one in 10 bottles showed low levels of Bacillus cereus and two in 10 showed low levels of Bacillus circulans.

If you bought a bottle from the affected lot, you can take it back to the store to get a full refund. If you have any questions, though, call Kingston Pharma at 844-724-7347 or send an e-mail to

In mid-February, Kingston Pharma recalled another Dollar General product, DG Baby Gripe Water herbal supplement with organic ginger and fennel extracts, because it had an undissolved ingredient in it. The undissolved citrus flavonoid apparently caused one report of an infant that had trouble swallowing it.