If you’ve got some old mason jars around the house (or really a glass jar), you might be wondering what to do with them. Instead of stashing them away in the attic or throwing them in the recycle bin, why not repurpose them into something totally unique and different?
Check out this super easy DIY weekend project that will help you turn a regular old mason jar into a glow-in-the-dark fairy light. Your kids will love how they sparkle and shimmer at night, and it’s the perfect craft for when you’ve got a little free time on your hands.
Here’s what you need:
- Glass jar
- Glow-in-the-dark paint
- Paintbrushes (preferably longer)
- Paper or old cardboard (as a workspace to avoid a mess)
- Regular glue (optional)
- Glitter (optional)
- 45 Minutes – 1 Hour
Have fun. Post pictures of your results on our Facebook page.
This video from user Nava Hannah on YouTube tells you everything you need to know to make these cool crafts:
Mason Jar Pincushions
There are so many cute ways to incorporate mason jars into fun crafts, like these adorable pincushions from Blitsy.
- Mini mason jar
- Cotton filling
- Hot glue gun
- Small piece of paper
Get all the materials and supplies you need for this craft by clicking here.
- Using the lid of the jar as a guide, trace and cut a circle from fabric that is approximately ½” larger than the lid.
- Trace and cut out a piece of cardstock that is the exact circumference of the lid.
- Place a small handful of cotton batting in the center of the wrong side of the fabric circle.
- Top with the cardboard circle.
- Wrap the edges snugly around cardboard circle and use hot glue to secure.
- Pop out the inner part of the jar lid and push the stuffed fabric circle through the outer ring of the jar lid.
- Apply hot glue onto the inner lid and adhere to the inside of the outer ring.
- Screw the lid onto the jar and use as pincushion and storage!
Here’s a video if you prefer visual instructions:
Mason Jar Terrarium
You can also use mason jars to add a little greenery and whimsy around your house. This easy-to-follow craft from Oh My! Creative makes it look super easy — all you need are some rocks, pebbles, moss and whatever little figurines you want to include. Plus, you can decide whether you want to use live or fake plants, depending on your green thumb abilities!