4 Easy And Healthy Snacks A Child Can Make Themselves (So You Don’t Have To)
So easy - and delicious!
Parents are busy, we get it. And kids always seem to be hungry. You feed them lunch and what seems like five minutes later, they want a snack. But sometimes, you need a little break and do not have the time or energy to make them something new. You’re not a bad parent, you’re human.
For the days when the “pantry is closed,” and you want your kids to reach for a more wholesome and tasty snack (instead of a bag of chips), try having your kids make one of these four snacks to tide them over.
They are all perfectly sized snacks with healthy ingredients to keep kids full and energized, avoiding the sugar buzz and crash later.
What I love about these snacks is they are easy to make and kids can assemble them on their own—no parental help required.
Here’s the easy-to-follow video:
1. Fruit Pizza
Let your kids to play with their food! Adding a little fun will encourage them to make healthier choices.
Time to make: 3-5 minutes
- Sliced Fruit
- Vanilla Greek Yogurt
- Place flatbread on cutting board.
- Spoon yogurt onto bread and smooth out like pizza sauce.
- Cut fruit into flat slices.
- Layer fruit onto flatbread into a fun shape.
2. Brown Bag Popcorn
Reduce the butter and fat consumption by making your own popcorn right at home. You cal also easily cut the portion size in half for smaller tummies.
Time to make: 3 minutes
- 1/2 cup popcorn kernels
- 1/2 tsp. vegetable oil
- Pinch of salt (optional)
- Put 1/2 cup of un-popped kernels into a tupperware (that has a lid).
- Add 1/2 tsp. vegetable oil.
- Sprinkle on a bit of salt.
- Put on lid and shake! shake! shake! to mix the contents.
- Dump mixed contents into a brown paper bag and fold down the edges.
- Microwave the bag for approximately two minutes (or until there are 2-3 seconds of silence between popping kernels).
3. Turkey And Carrot Roll-Ups
This snack can be customized with your child’s favorite flavors – sliced ham, bell peppers, cucumber and more!
Time to make: 2-3 minutes
- Sliced turkey
- Cream cheese
- Shredded carrots
- Lay wrap on a cutting board or plate.
- Smear on cream cheese with a butter knife.
- Lay two slices of turkey onto the wrap.
- Sprinkle on shredded carrots.
- Roll up the wrap, slice and enjoy!
4. Sandwich Bros. Chicken Melts
A grab-and-go Sandwich Bros. flatbread pocket is perfect for families with packed schedules. In less than a minute, you have a perfectly portioned snack. Filled with protein, it’s a healthier alternative to bagged snacks with empty calories.
Time to make: 50-55 seconds
There are no special ingredients or prep needed with this recipe! All you need to do is unwrap a Sandwich Bros. Chicken Melt (or any of their other really tasty sandwiches), wrap in a paper towel and microwave for 50-55 seconds. Grab it as you’re running out the door or for a sit down snack, garnish with carrots, celery and your child’s favorite dip.
Want to try these tasty sandwiches? Click here for a $1.00 off coupon!