“Hocus Pocus” has become a Halloween classic. If you’re a fan of the film, you could probably recite just about every word, but I’d be surprised if you know all of these fun facts.
1. Sanderson sister T-shirts are a thing.
First things first, we’ve found this year’s Halloween costume for you! Disney has announced that they are releasing Sanderson sister T-shirts with the exact dress each of the sisters wore represented on the front. The T-shirts sell for $29.99 and are only available online at The Disney Store until September 11 or while supplies last.
2. The actor who played Thackery Binx, Sean Murray, has starred in “NCIS” on CBS for the past 13 years.
Who knew everyone’s childhood crush hadn’t ever really left us?
I’ll have to start watching “NCIS” now.
3. Murray did not actually voice Binx The Cat, however.
The voice behind the beloved cat/Thackery Binx is actually an actor named Jason Marsden. You may also recognize his voice in “The Goofy Movie” as Max or D.J.’s boyfriend Nelson on “Full House.”
4. The role of Mary Sanders was originally offered to Rosie O’Donnell.
O’Donnell turned down the role because playing a witch that essential kills children to live did not sit well with her.
5. “Hocus Pocus” was originally written as a Disney Channel Original Movie.
Hocus Pocus was originally written to be a Disney Channel Original Movie, but it didn’t take long for people to realize its greatness and have it made into a motion picture instead.
6. Surprisingly, the movie was NOT released during the Halloween season, it was released in the Summer of 1993.
I guess it’s never too early to get in the Halloween spirit?
7. Sarah Jessica Parker actually sang “Come Little Children.”
Thanks, Sarah Jessica Parker, for making arguably the scariest scene in the whole movie.
8. The role of Max Dennison was originally offered to none other than Leonardo DiCaprio.
Although he was reportedly offered “more money than he ever dreamed of,” DiCaprio turned down the offer. Shortly after, he accepted a role in “What’s Eating Gilbert Grape,” and the rest is, well, history.
9. During filming, Winnie Sanderson, played by Bette Milder, was followed by two people with dictionaries containing old curse words.
Because how could you possibly memorize all of those old curse words?
10. The idea of “Hocus Pocus” originated as a bedtime story.
Producer David Kirschner came up with the story of Hocus Pocus as a bedtime story for his daughters. Interesting choice for a bedtime story if you ask me!
11. “Come Little Children” was written by Oscar-winning composer James Horner.
While he didn’t win an Oscar for “Come Little Children,” he did win one for co-writing “My Heart Will Go On” for the movie “Titanic.”
12. Real moths flew out of Billy Butcherson’s mouth after he cut open his stitches.
To pull this off, the crew inserted a device into actor Doug Jones’ mouth to keep the moths from flying down his throat.
13. The cast took a trip to Salem on the 300th anniversary of the Salem Witch Trials.
14. Nine different cats played Binx.
Each cat had a different skill set needed to complete the one-of-a-kind Binx.
15. Hocus Pocus is called “Abracadabra” in other countries.
So, if you are ever in another country and they ask if you want to watch “Abracadabra”, be sure to say yes!
16. In the beginning of the movie, after the witches kill Emily Binx, the actress can be seen still moving.
I will definitely be looking for this next time I watch!