If you like to grow plants or have a garden of your own, you’ve likely got a home filled to the brim with pots. Although there is nothing wrong with your standard old terra cotta pot, you can make your own more bright, colorful, and personalized by painting pots on your own. There’s no need to spend a ton of money on fancy pots from a specialty store, and they’re so easy to make, you can even gift them to your other plant-loving friends, making a personalized one for each person.
With just some spray paint, terra cotta pots, acrylic paint, a brush, and a few other crafting materials — and some soil and a plant, of course — you can make your own rainbow-filled garden tailored to your distinct style. Experiment with the tape to create different geometric designs, and mix and match colors to see what combinations work best. If you mess up, you can always paint over it! Just be sure to let the paint thoroughly dry before doing the next layer.
Here’s how to do it yourself:
- Terra cotta flower pots (3 sizes)
- Acrylic paint
- Painter’s tape
- Plastic plates
- Small foam paint brushes
- Small painter’s brush
- Clear acrylic spray
- Potting soil
1. Choose a color that you want to be your pot’s main color. You will use this as a base. Paint the entire pot this main color. Let dry.
2. Use the painter’s tape and wrap it around the pot. Or come up with your own variation of a design by taping multiple parts of the pot. Choose a secondary color, and paint one section of the pot. Let dry.
3. Using a third color, paint an accent color under the lip of the pot. Let dry, and peel away tape.
4. Fill pot with soil and flowers, and enjoy your new creation.