Here’s The Ultimate Gourmet Grilled Cheese Sandwich
Is your mouth watering yet?
A grilled cheese sandwich is the ultimate comfort food. What if I told you I know how to make the best grilled cheese sandwich ever?
This recipe combines mustard, three different types of cheese and tomato to make a succulent, savory snack that bursts with flavor in every bite. Want to add a little more protein? Add a layer of thinly sliced ham. Is your mouth watering yet? Mine is.
This recipe was adapted from cdkitchen and will make two sandwiches. Note: We used a George Foreman grill to make these sandwiches in our kitchen. If you make them on a regular stove, you’ll need to (carefully) flip the sammies after about three minutes of cooking to evenly brown them. Yum!
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons pressed fresh garlic
- 4 slices sourdough bread, about 1/2 – 3/4 inch thick
- 4 thin slices of tomato
- 3 ounces Fontina cheese
- 3 ounces Mozzarella cheese
- 3 tablespoons shredded Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons thinly sliced scallions
- 2 slices deli ham (optional)
- Pepper & oregano to taste (optional)
- Preheat the two-sided grill to medium-high (or to about 350 to 400 degrees, if on a regular stove).
- Melt butter in the microwave; whisk in the mustard and garlic. Set aside.
- Combine Fontina, Mozzarella and Parmesan cheese in a small bowl with a fork.
- Put 2 slices of sourdough bread on a large plate. Baste one side with butter mixture, flip so it’s face down. Baste the other side. Repeat on both slices of bread (so both inside and outside of sandwich slice is covered).
- Put 1 tablespoon of scallions on each slice.
- Place a layer of cheese over the scallions, dividing equally among the bread slices.
- Layer on two slices of tomato per side.
- Top with the other slice of buttered bread.
- Place each sandwich on the grill.
- On a two-sided grill, grill a total of 3 to 4 minutes. On a stovetop, grill about 3 minutes each side or until your desired level of crispiness.