Make Your Own Baked Tortilla Chips With This Easy Recipe
Nothing like warm, homemade tortilla chips straight from the oven!
Tortilla chips are a tasty snack food, especially when you’re enjoying them with some guacamole or salsa. It’s tempting to just pick up bags of tortilla chips from the grocery store, but instead, you can make your own tortilla chips at home, and all you need are corn tortillas, oil, lemon and some spices. Not only is it healthier to make your own, but you can enjoy these tortilla chips when they’re nice and warm and toasty and fresh out of the oven. There’s nothing like a warm tortilla chip with a dip of guac.
These tortilla chips are seasoned with lime, cumin, and chili powder, giving them a tangy and slightly spiced kick. Made with real tortillas, they take less than 20 minutes to make. Because they’re so easy, they make the perfect addition to a party served with your favorite dip—guests will be impressed that you made this tasty appetizer on your own.
Here’s how to make your own baked tortilla chips at home:
- 1 (12 ounce) package corn tortillas
- 2 Tablespoons vegetable oil
- 4-5 Tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoon salt
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Stack 5-10 tortillas and cut each tortilla into 8 chip-sized wedges, like a pizza.
3. Arrange the wedges in a single layer on a cookie sheet.
4. In a spray bottle, combine the oil and lime juice. Mix well, and then lightly spray the tortilla wedges with the oil and lime juice.
5. Combine the cumin, chili powder and salt in a small bowl, and sprinkle about 1/2 of mixture on the chips. Bake for about 7 minutes.
6. Remove from the oven, and gently flip the chips. Reapply the lime juice and seasonings, and bake for another 7-8 minutes or until the chips are crisp, but not too brown. After they are removed, the chips will get more crisp as they cool.
Serve with salsa or guacamole. Enjoy!