How To: Make Homemade Copycat Apple Cinnamon Pop-Tarts
If you have kids (or just simply love Pop-Tarts), this recipe is for you. Using simple ingredients, you can make your own delicious homemade copycat Pop-Tarts. Try the recipe below, or if you’re short on time, substitute the homemade filling for apple pie filling.
Either way, you and your family will love how puffy and fluffy these are! Once cooked, they can be stored in an airtight container for up to a week.
- Puff Pastry, 2 packages
- 3 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 large green apple, diced
- 1 egg
- 1-3 tsp. milk
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar, sifted
- 1/2 tsp. lemon juice
- 1/4 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 tbsp. milk (nonfat)
- Green food coloring
To Make The Poptart Stuffing
- Chop the green apple into fine pieces and dump into a medium bowl.
- Add cinnamon and melted butter.
- Toss to coat.
To Make The Egg Wash
- Blend egg and milk together in a small bowl.
To Make The Icing
- Using a sifter, sift the powdered sugar into a bowl.
- Add 1/4 vanilla extract, milk, and lemon juice.
- Blend with a whisk until an even consistency.
- Plop in 1 drop of green food coloring.
- Whisk again until fully blended.
- Preheat the oven to 425.
- Remove the puff pastry from its packaging. Unfold so it lays flat and cut into 12 equal pieces.
- Baste one side of the puff pastry square in egg wash.
- On that same side, put small handful (about 2 tsp.) of stuffing mixture in the center.
- Sprinkle with a little brown sugar.
- Cover with second puff pastry square & use a fork to mesh the sides together.
- Repeat until done.
- Place in oven and bake 23-25 minutes.
- Remove and place on wire rack to cool.
- Drizzle with icing & sprinkles.