Before he was a household name on “Saturday Night Live,” Kenan Thompson was the star of Nickelodeon’s hit comedy sketch show aimed at tweens, “All That.” Now, the network is poised to reboot the classic show from the 1990s and 2000s, and Thompson will be back, this time as an executive producer.
“It means everything to me,” Thompson told Variety of the original show that launched his career. “It was my first job that I ever had. It gave me an opportunity.”
Other famous faces to get their start on the show include Jamie Lynn Spears, Amanda Bynes and Nick Cannon. The reboot’s content will rely on some of the characters and sketches that made the original show so popular, but producers also plan to breathe new life into it for a new generation as well.
“We think there’s a great opportunity to find the next pool of stars,” Brian Robbins, president of Nickelodeon, told Variety. “We want to bring the show back in a real fun way. This summer, we are going to bring back a lot of the original cast and the cast through the years, and let them introduce the new cast of ‘All That’ to the world.”
Thompson, who received his first Emmy nomination last year for his role on “Saturday Night Live” after acting on the show for 15 seasons, says that he does not plan to step away from “SNL” anytime soon, meaning he will have to strike a balance between the two demanding jobs.
“If I’m not at the table read, I’ll be on the phone during the table read,” he told the outlet of his role producing the rebooted show. “I’ll be around.”
Are you excited for the “All That” reboot?