Why You Have To Pee In The Middle Of The Night, And How To Help Fix It
Nothing is worse than getting up from a deep night’s sleep only to be woken up by your bladder. Going to the bathroom in the middle of the night isn’t an uncommon occurrence, but if it happens to you frequently, you may have a condition called nocturia.
The condition encompasses the excessive need to urinate during the night, and it is more common as people age. People with nocturia wake up more than once a night to go to the bathroom.
This can be caused by a number of reasons, including, but not limited to:
- You drink a lot of water
- You produce a large amount off urine (more than two liters a day)
- You produce more urine at night than your bladder can hold
- You have diabetes
- You have sleep apnea
So what should you do have if you have nocturia? Here’s how you can prevent it:
- Limit fluid intake in the evenings
- Restrict intake of diuretics to six hours before bedtime
- Take afternoon naps – Yes!
- Elevate your legs
- Wear compression stockings
If you think you may have nocturia, be sure to visit your doctor, who can not only come up with a treatment plan for you, but can look for any underlying causes of the condition.
Photo by dno1967b