So I made this recipe for a recent Holiday party and let me tell you, it is the bomb!
An adaptation of Trisha Yearwood’s “Sweet and Saltines” recipe, I add crushed peppermints for a little Holiday spirit. Watch our how-to video and follow the steps below to make this delicious treat!
Peppermint Sweet and Saltines These are amazing! Sweet and Saltines (Peppermint optional).
Posted by Simplemost on Monday, December 21, 2015
- 1 sleeve saltines
- 2 sticks butter
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 bags chocolate ships
- 1/2 cup peppermints, whole
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Put peppermints into a zippered bag, crush with rolling pin.
- Line baking pan with aluminum foil.
- Arrange the saltines (salt-side down) in a single layer on the tray.
- In a medium saucepan, melt the butter and brown sugar together and boil until it turns a caramel color, a few minutes.
- Remove from the heat and pour over the crackers, covering them evenly.
- Put the jelly-roll pan into the oven and bake for 3 to 5 minutes, or until just bubbly, watching carefully.
- Remove from the oven and pour the chocolate chips over the crackers.
- When the chips melt a bit, spread them over the crackers with a knife.
- Sprinkle peppermint topping
- Transfer the pan to the freezer for 15 to 20 minutes, or until completely cold. This will form one big sheet.
- Break up into pieces. Store in an airtight container.