Possible listeria contamination affecting multiple brands continues to grow, with Sargento and MDS Foods announcing the recall of more products.
Both Sargento and MDS Foods were notified by their supplier, Deutsch Kase Haus, that additonal products may have come in contact with Listeria monocytogenes. Both companies expanded the recalls on Friday, Feb. 17.
Sargento says there have been no confirmed illnesses, but out of “concern for the health and well-being of Sargento consumers, the company has also terminated its relationship with Deutsch Kase Haus.”
“We deeply regret any inconvenience or concern this issue has caused,” Louie Gentine, Sargento CEO, said in a statement. “We have high expectations for the quality and safety of our products and hold our suppliers accountable to those same standards. We will continue to evaluate our processes to ensure we remain a leader in food safety and quality.”
The newly recalled products can be identified by UPC and “sell by” dates. They include:
- Sargento Sliced Colby, 8 oz., UPC 4610000105, Sell By date 15MAY17F
- Sargento Sliced Muenster, 8oz., UPC 4610000107, Sell By dates 05MAR17F, 06MAR17F, 15APR17F, 16APR17F and 17APR17F
- Sargento Sliced Pepper Jack, 7.5 oz., UPC 4610000122, Sell By date 03MAY17B
- Sargento Sliced Tomato & Basil Jack, 6.67 oz., UPC 4610000279, Sell By date 03MAR17B
- Sargento Shredded Reduced Fat Colby-Jack, 8 oz., UPC 4610041018, Sell By date H07APR17
- Sargento Shredded Chef Blends 4 Cheese Pizzeria, 8 oz., UPC 4610041105, Sell By date H10APR17
- Sargento Artisan Blends Double Cheddar Shredded Cheese, 8 oz., UPC 4610040094, Sell By date H08JUN17 and H09JUN17
Items previous recalled on Feb. 10 include:
- Sargento Ultra Thin Sliced Longhorn Colby, 6.84 oz., UPC 4610000228, Sell By dates 02FEB17F, 01MAR17B and 16MAR17F
- Sargento Chefs Blend Taco Blend Shredded Cheese, 8 oz., UPC 4610040002, Sell By dates H11MAY17 and H01JUN17
- Sargento Sliced Pepper Jack, 12oz., UPC 4610000108, Sell By dates 02MAY17B, 03MAY17B, 11JUN17B
- Sargento Sliced Colby-Jack, 12oz., UPC 4610000109, Sell By date 01MAY17B
- Sargento Off the Block Fine Cut Colby-Jack Shredded Cheese, 8 oz., UPC 4610040014, Sell By date H06MAY17
- Sargento Chef Blends Nacho & Taco Shredded Cheese, 8oz., UPC 4610040041, Sell By dates H04MAY17, S15MAY17 and H01JUN17
- Sargento Off the Block Fine Cut Cheddar Jack Shredded Cheese, 8 oz., UPC 4610040076, Sell By dates H07MAY17, H08MAY17 and H09MAY17
Newly recalled brands from MDS Foods Inc. include Amish Classics, Deli Made EZ, Deli Readi, Dietz & Watson, Meijer, Old Tyme, Troyer, Sutters Quality Foods and Winder Farms. A full list can be found here.
Consumers can check if they have a recalled product by visiting info.sargento.com.
Symptoms of Listeria include fever and diarrhea. If you have purchased the recalled cheeses, contact Sargento at 1-800—Cheese (243-3737) to begin the refund process. Customers can also submit questions on the “Contact Us” page at sargento.com.