Whether you’re looking for a simple decoration for the house or a fun project to do with the kiddos, making these snowflake decorations is the perfect festive activity to keep you and your family entertained this season.
Creating these only requires a few items, so you won’t have to shell out a lot of money on crafts. But the best part? The entire process is fairly simple!
Here are the four items you’ll need to kick off to make your own lacy snowflake paper decorations:
1. Paper (choose whatever colors you like)
The video above explains the steps on how to make these cool winter decorations, but here’s another brief summary:
1. Fold 10 squares of paper into triangles
2. Draw five lines (with the ruler) across the triangle about 1 centimeter apart
3. Cut along the lines, stopping about 1 cm before the edge
4. Repeat the line-drawing and cutting process six times.
5. Open the squares and glue the center points together. Turn the square over and glue the next two points.
6. Repeat the process (continuing to turn the square over between each gluing) until you’ve connected each strip of paper on each square.
7. Glue all of your squares together end-to-end in a snowflake shape.
As noted in the video, the size of the snowflake will depend on the size of the squares you start with. The bigger you go, the bigger it will be.
Related: 12 Easy & Fun DIY Christmas Crafts To Make With Kids
You can also feel free to get as creative as you like the style of snowflakes you’re making. You can use plain white paper if you want to stick with the traditional snowflake look. If you want to make the decorations look a bit more colorful and festive, you can go for red, green or metallic colored paper. You can even use patterned paper if you want!
When you’re done, you’ll be left with a lovely snowflake decoration that you can hang in a window, as seen below, or elsewhere in your home.
Will you be making these snowflake decorations this holiday?
Additional Reporting by Michelle Regalado.