These Stuffed Onion Bombs Will Be Your New Go-To Appetizer Recipe
Onion bombs look small, but they are jam-packed with flavor and are surprisingly filling. With a meatball inside, sweet onion outside, and it all wrapped in bacon, this recipe hits all the marks as a delicious appetizer or main course.
You can try throwing these on the grill on medium-low heat, or simply stick ’em in the oven while you prep anything else you want. Baked potato or salad would be a perfect pairing, but these can also easily stand alone. Serve these stuffed bombs in BBQ sauce or ketchup and get dipping!
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1 cup bread crumbs
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup BBQ Sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3-4 medium/large yellow onions
- 1 package of Bacon
- Additional BBQ Sauce for dipping
- In a large bowl, combine the ground beef, crumbs, egg, milk, ½ cup BBQ, onion, salt, pepper and garlic powder.
- Mix together with your hands until thoroughly combined.
- Cut top and bottom off onion, cut in half and peel off skin. Then separate the onion into “layers.” Use the larger outside layers.
- Stuff your meatball mix between two Onion Layers (essentially making an onion seal around a large meatball).
- Wrap each “bomb” with 3 slices bacon and secure with toothpicks.
- Bake in a dish with sides (to catch grease) at 425 for approx. 40 minutes or until internal temp 165.
Written by Tijani Jackson and originally published on Shared.