She has lived with me in some capacity since I was four years-old and yet I feel as though I hardly know her at all. I always assumed that Barbie was like Cher or Prince – no last name needed.
Wrong – Barbie’s full name is Barbara Millicent Roberts. Named after creator, Ruth Handler’s daughter, Barbara.
Turns out Barbie isn’t even from Malibu. What?! Yep, she is from Willows, Wisconsin. And, before you jump in the car to make a pilgrimage to the princess of pink, GPS can’t help you – its not a real place.
While Barbie’s life and style has evolved throughout history, the reason Ruth Handler created her remains spot on today. “My whole philosophy of Barbie was that through the doll, the little girl could be anything she wanted to be. Barbie always represented the fact that a woman has choices.” You go girl!
Here’s a few more fun facts about Barbie:
- The first Barbie doll was introduced at the New York Toy Fair in March, 1959 in both blonde and brunette.
- The first doll was sold for $3.00.
- Barbie was originally a “Teen-Age Fashion Model.”
- Over the years Barbie has had a total of seven siblings: Skipper, Stacie, Chelsea, Krissy, Kelly, Tutti and Todd.
- Every three seconds, a Barbie doll is sold.
- She has held over 180 jobs – from a cashier at McDonald’s to an astronaut.
- Although she has never won an election, Barbie has run for President 6 times since 1992.
- Her main squeeze Ken has a last name too – Carson. And, Barbie and Mr. Carson have never actually been married.
- Barbie originally could only wear high heals. But Mattel’s designers changed Barbie’s ankles in 2015. Now she can wear cute ballet flats too.
- Barbie has her own star on the Hollywood walk of fame.
- The very first Barbie car was a 1962 Austin Healy roadster.
- Totally Hair Barbie (1992) is the best-selling Barbie ever.
- Barbie has never been pregnant. Only her best friend Midge has.
- This year Barbie announced the expansion of its Fashionistas doll line to include three body types – tall, curvy and petite – and a variety of skin tones, hair styles and outfits.
- “Share A Smile Becky” was the first fashion doll to have a wheelchair.