11 Senior Discounts So Good Millennials Will Be Jealous
There's so much more than the early bird special!
I’m not going to lie: It’s fun being a young and dumb millennial. I’m physically healthy and mentally sharp—and a little all over the place emotionally, but still. Marketers make me feel special with their advertisements, compelling me to travel the world and live life to the fullest.
But, truth be told, I’m looking forward to the day I recieve my AARP card. I want to take advantage of some of the killer senior discounts that my own grandparents enjoy every single day.
Before we move on to our favorite senior discounts, we have a couple of disclaimers:
- For the best deals, sign up for your AARP card. Just for signing up, you’ll be ready to show off your card to certain establishments and save a lot of money on your purchases.
- All deals are not created equal. Even though this list contains legitimate discounts, the amount you pay might vary depending on where you live, what day it is and what the weather is like.
- Just ask. It never hurts to ask the staff at the store you’re going into. What’s the worst that could happen, you pay full price for a small coffee?
Without further ado, here are 11 of our favorite senior discounts that will make any millennial jealous.
1. Get A Lifetime Pass To National Parks (62+)
For $20, you can go to any national park in the U.S. with this lifetime pass. If you want to see nature in all its glory, click here or call (888) 627-3325 for more information.
2. Get A 30% Discount On Movie Tickets (60+)
3. Take 15% Off Clothes At Kohl’s On Wednesdays (60+)
You can even use your Kohl’s Cash with this offer! But be sure to look at their list of excluded products and brands, like Nike and American Girl.
4. Stay At Any Hyatt For Half The Price (62+)
If you use this discount, staying at a Hyatt for a month might be cheaper than renting a studio apartment in New York City.
5. Take 15% Off Amtrak Train Tickets (62+)
Instead of flying, you can take the train across the country. Hey, you’re retired, take the scenic route! Plus, the leg room on the train cannot be beat.
6. Enjoy 15% Off Meals At Denny’s And Outback Steakhouse (50+ for AARP members)
After eating every bacon and egg Denny’s has for breakfast, you can go to Outback for an early dinner.
7. Buy Discounted Prescription Drugs At RiteAid (65+)
With your wellness65+ card, if you go into RiteAid on a Wednesday, you can get 20 percent off your prescriptions. That ought to come in handy with ever-increasing medical costs.
8. Take Up To $400 Off British Airways Flights (50+)
You can use the $400 you saved on souvenirs for your grandchildren.
9. Take 30% Off Prescription Eyeglasses And Sunglasses At LensCrafters (50+ for AARP members)
This one is the most important discount you’ll ever find. How can you see your grandchildren’s drawings or the daily crossword puzzle without your glasses?
10. Save 10% On Tabs At The Following Restaurants:
- Arby’s (55+)
- A&W (55+)
- Boston Market (65+)
- Burger King (60+) (also has deals on coffee and soft drinks)
- Chick-fil-A (55+)
- Chili’s (55+)
- Dairy Queen (60+)
- McDonald’s (55+) (also has deals on coffee and soft drinks)
- Subway (60+)
- TCBY (55+)
- Wendy’s (60+)
Make sure you ask for the discount at all of these places, as policies may vary by location. And don’t go to all of them in one day. Unless you’re very, very hungry.
11. Save Up To 25% On Hertz Car Rentals
Keep both hands on the wheel and take it easy with Hertz’s Fifty Plus Program.