The cast of “Back to the Future” headed back to the past when the actors reunited at the Fan Expo Boston on Aug. 10. Stars of the 1985 classic film and its subsequent sequels, including Michael J. Fox (Marty McFly), Christopher Lloyd (Dr. Emmett Brown), Lea Thompson (Lorraine Baines) and Thomas Wilson (Biff Tannen), were present at the Boston Convention Center for the multi-genre convention, where they participated in a panel discussion.
The co-stars also posed for photos and signed autographs for fans. Thompson posted this photo of the whole gang on Twitter:
— Lea Thompson (@LeaKThompson) August 11, 2018
“Friends from the past in the future! @FANEXPOBoston So fun. Love these men @realmikefox @TomWilsonUSA #chrislloyd #bttf,” she wrote.
The cast said during their panel discussion that a “Back to the Future 4” could still be in the cards and spoke to the franchise’s enduring cultural impact.
“This movie was so powerful to show to your children because it’s the idea that if you do the right thing, if you have the courage, if you stand up for yourself at the right moment of your life, you can change not only your future but your children’s future,” Thompson said, according to MassLive.
Some fans of the trilogy had dressed up in Marty’s classic puffy vest for the event, prompting Fox to comment how hot it had been to wear during filming.
“It looked great but it was terrible to wear,” he said, according to MassLive.
Some fans seemed to think it was worth the trouble, though:
My density came true today as I finally met the cast of my favorite film of all time! Back to the Future has meant so much to me for so many years, so this is so surreal! Such an honor! I’m still speechless! @fanexpoboston was a blast! 🤩 ••• @realmikejfox @lea_thompson @mrchristopherlloyd @tomwilsonusa @fanexpoboston #BackToTheFuture
Wilson recalled seeing an industry screening of the first movie in Hollywood where he realized it was destined to be a classic.
“The applause the movie got just said, ‘Wait a minute. This is something different,'” he said. “People from the very beginning, they just loved the movie.”
Despite the actors’ interest, filmmaker Robert Zemeckis, who holds the rights to the series along with writer/producer Bob Gale, has previously said that a reboot is out of the question.
“Oh, God no,” Zemeckis told the Telegraph in 2015 about the possibility of another film. “That can’t happen until both Bob and I are dead. And then I’m sure they’ll do it unless there’s a way our estates can stop it.”
Would you watch a fourth installment of “Back to the Future?”