This Teen Wants All Parents To Watch His Near-Death Toddler Experience As A Warning (Video)

Windows are dangerous for a lot of reasons: You can fall out of them, you can smash your fingers—and you can be strangled by long cord pulls. Toddlers are the key risk group for this last danger, and parents around the world have suffered frightening mishaps thanks to unsafe window treatments. Now, people are sharing their experiences in the hopes that everyone can be aware of this hidden danger.

Gavin Walla, now 17, was nearly strangled to death in a window treatment when he was just 2 years old. The entire thing was inadvertently caught on a horrifying home video that showed his siblings happily playing before panning to Gavin’s seemingly lifeless body, tangled in a window blind.

Though he was safely extricated from the blinds and suffered no lasting effects from the incident, he wants to use this nightmarish home movie to help other parents understand that windows can be extremely dangerous. It is estimated that more than 100 children have died in window blind-related stranglings since Gavin was rescued.

Just last year, a toddler in the UK underwent a similar horror as he was playing in the window. Thankfully, his mother was in the same room and quickly rushed to his aid. The 2-year-old was not seriously injured, but his mother—like Gavin—wants everyone to be aware that it only takes a few seconds for a child to be strangled to death.

Last year, the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) took measures to “address strangulation hazards associated with cords on window covering products.” They will include, among other things, specific installation instructions and warnings about the dangers of strangulation.

Retailers are also working to prevent window-related deaths; IKEA and Target have stopped selling blinds with accessible cords. Walmart, Lowe’s and Home Depot have vowed to stop selling dangerous window treatments by 2018.

RELATED: Mom Warns About Car Seat Safety After Daughter Sustains Horrifying Injury

You can watch the footage of Gavin’s terrifying experience above. Once you’re done, go check to make sure your own window treatments aren’t a safety hazard. If they are, you can wrap them up and secure them tightly or even replace them.

The Video Of A Girl Getting Dragged Underwater By A Sea Lion Is A Cautionary Tale

If you haven’t seen the video of a sea lion dragging a young girl into the water by the back of her dress, it’s pretty startling. Filmed at Steveston Harbour in British Columbia, the incident occurred after visitors tossed food into the water for the sea lions. Videos like this are a crucial reminder that nature deserves our respect—and no matter how cute an animal is, it’s still wild.

In the viral video, filmed by Michael Fujiwara in British Columbia, Canada, the sea lion initially bobs around by the dock as people seem to throw food into the water (off camera). The sea lion first snaps at the young girl in question, possibly in search of food. Then, it grabbed the back of her dress as she sat down on the wooden railing close to the water.

The sea lion dragged the girl into the water and the observers sprang into action. An unidentified man immediately dove into the wharf to rescue her and they both escaped from the water swiftly. The sea lion appeared to let go of the dress immediately upon realizing it was not a source of food. The girl appeared to be unhurt; she and her family left right away.

It’s crucial to note that while sea lions are not naturally dangerous—it’s likely the sea lion in question thought the girl’s dress was food—they are huge. An adult California sea lion like the one in the video can weigh up to (and sometimes over) 800 pounds. In a fight against one of these massive creatures, a human will lose every time.

Robert Kiesman, the Steveston’s harbor authority, said this video needs to be a stern warning to visitors that they should never feed or attempt to interact with sea lions.

“You wouldn’t go up to a grizzly bear in the bush and hand him a ham sandwich, so you shouldn’t be handing a thousand-pound wild animal in the water slices of bread,” Kiesman told CBC News in an interview. “And you certainly shouldn’t be letting your little girl sit on the edge of the dock with her dress hanging down after the sea lion has already snapped at her once. Just totally reckless behavior.”

The Steveston Harbor Authority also posted a statement (albeit with more gentle wording) on its website reminding visitors to respect the sea lions.

“While we appreciate that seeing wildlife can be exciting, we stress that feeding wildlife is both illegal and dangerous!” the statement said. “Also, keep in mind that feeding wildlife can also be extremely detrimental to the animals themselves, as they may learn to associate humans with an easy source of food, which can lead to them not being able to successfully secure food in the wild.”

So, lesson learned: Don’t feed bears ham sandwiches, and don’t feed any other wild animals either.